Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dalton's Theory and Reacting Elements??

According to Dalton's atomic theory, when elements react, their atoms combine in (choose one)





a.) a simple whole number ration that is unique for each set of elements


b.) exactly a 1:1 ration.


c.) one or more simple whole number ratios.


d.) pairs.


e.) random proportions.





I don't know understand what Dalton's theory is, even though I've read a whole section about it in my book. I thought I knew what it was, but these choices don't make sense. Please help!

Dalton's Theory and Reacting Elements??
I think C is the best answer. So, for compounds of hydrogen and carbon, one of them is a 1:1 ratio (acetylene). Another has a 4:1 ratio (methane), and yet another has a 2:1 ratio (ethene).





Dalton's theory is basically the statement that atoms combine to form compounds in fixed and relatively simple whole number ratios.
Reply:c


No comments:

Post a Comment